Sunday, November 29, 2009

Should I remove IE 7 and use an older version an older Mozilla to speed up my slow internet?

Version 7 of IE uses way to much memory for my slow computer.



I want to know if it is unsafe to use an older version of IE or Mozilla. All I want is the tab feature, but IE7 is very slow for some reason.



Should I remove IE 7 and use an older version an older Mozilla to speed up my slow internet?windows xp professional





FireFox is SO much faster than IE anyways.



=)



Go with Mozilla.



Should I remove IE 7 and use an older version an older Mozilla to speed up my slow internet?windows xp home internet explorer



Absolutely. :) Using Internet Explorer at all is generally not a good idea anyway, for several reasons.
You cannot increase your sloww internet connection by simply degrading your softwares. You have to use advanced browsers for a quicker web access. The reason for your slower speed may be that since you installed it there is nothing in the cache memory. Use it for sometime and you will feel the difference.



Or try Firefox or Opera before uninstalling IE7.
I use Firefox as my default browser, but I did not remove IE7 (I don't think you can anyway).



Sometimes I find things online that FF can't handle, so I can still use IE7 in those cases.



I don't see a lot of difference in speed- must be something in your settings, or maybe memory is not enough?
If your running Windows Vista, you can't remove IE 7. But if your running XP or older...



Run some spyware scans, make sure nothing is bogging your computer down; also check "tools -%26gt; manage Add-ons". Too many plug-in's such as toolbars can slow your browser down. The reason your IE is slow, is most likely because of the built in "Phishing filter", make sure that's disabled. If you have Norton, they also install this phishing filter thing on your IE, disable those any other plug-ins that you don't use. The only time IE was slow for me was when I had a internet TV toolbar, after I disabled it, IE was smooth.



You don't have to read the rest, but it explains why I think IE is faster.



From my experience, IE is actually a bit faster than Firefox. If you do use Firefox, I think you'll find that it uses more memory than IE running the same content (check by using your Task Manager, accessed from ctrl+alt+del).



IE is a bit faster, particularly because of the pre-fetech feature. I'm not sure if Windows still does this, Windows has in the past used a feature called Pre-fetch to partially start certain programs such as IE and Media Player even before you manually chose to start them, so they'll start faster and etc, so that's why IE is a bit faster.



Now if you only want the tab feature, I believe our very own Yahoo has a toolbar or plug-in for IE 6 that adds the tab feature. So you might want to downgrade back to IE 6, and then get the Yahoo toolbar.
I don't have a problem with IE7.



Your problem may lie elsewhere. Maybe some housecleaning is in order:



1. Set wallpaper and screensavers to blank or none 鈥?they run continuously in the background and use memory.



2. Review your start menu 鈥?remove anything you don鈥檛 need on a daily basis 鈥?load games, etc. on an as-needed basis.



3. From Internet Explorer, sign out 鈥?then click Tools, Internet Options: delete cookies, delete files (offline), and clear history. (You can also set days to store history to 0.)



----- These actions will clear your computer鈥檚 cache. (For a description of cache, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/ph/yahoo/mail/ac... )



4. Run Disk Cleanup, Scandisk, Defrag at least every two weeks (the more frequently they are run, the less time they take).



5. Periodically, click Start, Programs, Run 鈥?they type ipconfig renew



(that鈥檚 ipconfig space renew).



6. This will show you how to optimize your PC鈥檚 performance.



http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using...



These things should increase speed and free up memory as much as possible.



****************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
hosting services